In January 1970, a disastrous fire damaged the sanctuary and destroyed the four-manual organ built in 1924 by the Tellers-Kent company of Erie. The church engaged the Schlicker Organ Company of Buffalo to craft a new instrument of three manuals and 46 (now 47) ranks, inspired by German organs of the 18th century. Pictured are some of the pipes of the Great and Pedal divisions.
This organ was dedicated in November 1972, and since that time has received a new console and blower, but is otherwise largely unaltered. With over 2,500 pipes it is Meadville’s largest instrument, and is frequently used for concerts in addition to being at the heart of our weekly worship.
The stoplist can be found online here at the OHS database.
Click to hear organist Kevin Dill and trumpeter Jennifer Dearden play 'Prayer of St Gregory' by Alan Hovhaness.